Tuesday, August 3, 2010

Michelada -- Tastes Like a Sweaty Redeye!

have you ever had a Redeye before? that's when you add a couple ounces of Clamato juice to a lager. to anyone overseas that is reading this, Clamato is a mix of tomato juice and, yes, clam broth. from what I understand Clamato is a primarily Canadian mixer, usually used to make another Canadian classic- the caeser. anyway, the addition of Clamato juice into a pint of substandard lager can be somewhat refreshing at times. I won't go as far as advocating it's use on a regular basis, but when your in Dundurn, Saskatchewan, do as the Dundurnians do. so when Big Love and I stopped at a Mexican restaurant for lunch on the weekend and I saw that one of their signature drinks, a michelada, mixes beer with a "traditional spice mix juice", I had to try it. our waitress said it was a mix of lime juice, Maggi seasoning, and other stuff. she had me at 'other stuff'.

a couple of ounces of 'spice mix juice' was delivered to the table in a salt rimmed sleeve with a bottle of Negra Modelo beer. after pouring the beer into the mix, it looked like a chunky, frothy beef stock. now, the taste can only be described as sweaty. real sweaty - not exactly the refreshing bevvie that I was looking for. the salt from the rim masked some of the initial foulness. to be fair, after the initial sip, the drink was passable for a moment. but, as it started to warm up, I could no longer trick my brain into thinking that I was enjoying a beer as the taste was replaced by what can only be described as a sort of soy saucey, beefy, sweaty mixture. delicious.

3 comments:

  1. Whoa I can't believe you showed your face! You're not a dog with a human's body?! Where is this restaurant?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I found a can of pre-mixed michalada -- Bud and Clamato brand--in a gas station in Tennessee a few years. Needless to say, I had to buy it. Pretty vile. That said, I've heard the fresh kind are really good -- I've seen them at restaurants just with lime, Clamato, and beer; no "spice mix" or "other stuff."

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ellie - it's the place on Robson street with great food and the TERRIBLE name.... Don Guacamole's
    http://www.urbanspoon.com/r/14/1432170/restaurant/Robson-Street-West-End/Don-Guacamoles-Vancouver

    ReplyDelete